Software Engineer, Backend
Flex is an early-stage, remote-first FinTech startup that is creating the best rent payment experience. It’s hard to believe that it’s 2023 and paying rent on time is expensive, inflexible, and difficult. We’re here to change that! We enable our users to pay rent throughout the month on a schedule that better fits their finances and budget. Our mission is to empower as many renters as possible with flexibility over their most significant recurring expense. After deliberately keeping a stealth profile as we built up unprecedented investor support and an enthusiastic user base, we are looking for motivated individuals to help us keep our mission growing in 2023. Will you be a part of the team?
Flex is looking for a Software Engineer that will be responsible for implementing the service APIs that are used by our mobile and web apps.
In this role you will be part of the orchestration team, a small team responsible for the app-friendly APIs that provide access to our core platform services. You’ll be designing, developing, testing, and scaling the APIs needed to deliver great user experiences that simplify the complexities of rent payment processing for our customers.
You’ll work closely with your product, design and engineering peers to solve our users' most pressing problems around rent payment. You’ll roll out changes to our customers in an agile manner with a delivery cadence that favors small, frequent iterations. The ideal candidate will be comfortable leading scoping, design and implementation for APIs they build and can drive their production rollouts to completion with minimum oversight.
A minimum of 3 years experience with Java is required for this position.
Who you are:
- You have strong computer science fundamentals
- You build high quality APIs to specifications
- You have experience with the Java frameworks and tools we use at Flex such as Spring (core/web/boot), Gradle and JUnit
- You have experience implementing and operating services in distributed services environment at scale
- You have experience with observability and monitoring tools such as DataDog for maintaining high availability
- You write high quality code that is testable, maintainable, scalable and secure
- You have a good understanding of REST and mobile API best practices
- You have great communication skills and are comfortable working with a distributed team
- Prior experience working on cross functional teams
- Proficient with Java and Spring (Bonus: AWS, Containers, Kubernetes, MySql)
- Experience with CI/CD to improve code stability and code quality
- Experience with IDE’s such as VSCode and IntelliJ
- Familiar with the Java ecosystem
The national pay range for this role is $150,000-$170,000. Individual compensation will be commensurate with the candidate's experience aligned with Flex's internal leveling guidelines and benchmarks.
Life at Flex:
- Competitive pay
- 100% company-paid medical, dental, and vision
- 401(k) + company stock options
- Unlimited paid time off + company paid holidays
- Parental leave + IVF and adoption support
- Flex Cares Program: Non-profit company match + pet adoption coverage
- Free Flex subscription