Chief of Staff, Legal & Compliance
Flex is a growth-stage, NYC headquartered FinTech company that is creating the best rent payment experience. It’s hard to believe that it’s 2024 and paying rent on time is expensive, inflexible, and difficult. We’re here to change that! Flex enables our users to pay rent throughout the month on a schedule that better fits their finances and budget. Our mission is to empower as many renters as possible with flexibility over their most significant recurring expense. After deliberately keeping a stealth profile as we built up unprecedented investor support and an enthusiastic user base, we are looking for motivated individuals to help us keep our mission growing. Will you be a part of the team?
About the Role
As Legal and Compliance Chief of Staff, you will partner with our Chief Legal and Compliance Officer and Senior Legal and Compliance leadership to support Flex’s strategic initiatives and operational execution in an effort to effectively coordinate and execute on objectives and priorities. You will manage, oversee, and drive the department’s workstream and process discipline. You will also spearhead special projects and manage cross-functional initiatives involving product, operations, customer success, policy, and finance in order to meet business needs and achieve company- and department-wide goals. This is an opportunity for the right person to be responsible for both critical business success while also engaging in substantive legal, policy, and regulatory priorities.
What you’ll do:
- Core Chief of Staff activities:
- Develop business and project plans for initiatives that cut across the organization.
- Provide decision support by conducting in depth research and analysis, and clearly presenting recommendations.
- Establish insight into departmental workstreams, create and maintain dashboards and reports to assess status and progress and to relentlessly drive execution when needed.
- Assist with departmental program management and project implementation.
- Review, design, and help drive improvements to team structure to address knowledge and skill gaps in view of business needs.
- Continuously seek ways to improve processes, cut department costs, and streamline collaboration across team members in a proactive manner.
- Synthesize information from the department into periodic reports and analysis.
- Serve as liaison between Legal and Compliance and other leaders in the company.
- Substantive Legal and Compliance activities:
- Conduct research and prepare communications for senior legal and compliance executives, the executive team, and the board of directors, ranging from company updates to in-depth presentations and data analysis.
- Provide ad-hoc support on projects of all sizes, such as: presentations (internal and external), research tasks, modeling, internal initiatives, policy, government relations, and dispute resolution.
- Prepare presentations for internal and external audiences; this typically involves designing highly compelling presentations for company-wide meetings and speaking engagements.
- Support special workstreams and/or events as needed, including team meetings, CLE programming, and social events. Constantly iterate and advance internal processes to optimize the department’s rituals and artifacts.
Who you are:
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in areas of functional leadership support.
- Experienced in management consulting, legal or compliance operations, and/or functional support at a startup within a highly regulated industry.
- Operating experience at a FinTech or tech startup company is a plus.
- Advanced degree (MBA, JD) is a plus.
- Possess strong analytical and operational skills with a toolbox of proven execution frameworks and solutions to draw from.
- Scrappy and hands-on with a willingness to take on tasks, both large and small.
- Excellent communicator with a knack for influencing wide-scale projects across multiple levels and functions of an organization.
- Exceptional critical thinking abilities, capable of solving complex challenges.
- Interested in the intersections of product, policy, legal, and compliance.
- Proven ability to spearhead critical strategic initiatives that integrate quantitative and qualitative analysis to drive business results.
- Incredibly organized with impeccable attention to detail.
- Possess a high level of integrity, accountability, and are frequently trusted with highly sensitive and confidential information.
The national pay range for this role is $130,000-$165,000 annually. Individual compensation will be commensurate with the candidate's experience aligned with Flex's internal leveling guidelines and benchmarks.
Life at Flex:
We understand that it takes a diverse team of highly intelligent, curious, determined, empathetic, and self aware people to grow a successful company. Our HQ is located in New York City, but we have employees located throughout the US, Australia, and South America. We are growing quickly, but deliberately, with a focus on building an inclusive culture. Our dynamic team has incredible perspectives to share, just as we know you do, and we take great pride in being an equal opportunity workplace.
We offer many employee benefits. For full time, U.S. based employees we offer:
- Competitive pay
- 100% company-paid medical, dental, and vision
- 401(k) + company stock options
- Unlimited paid time off with a PTO minimum + 13 company paid holidays
- Parental leave
- Flex Cares Program: Non-profit company match + pet adoption coverage
- Free Flex subscription