Front Desk Manager
Arlington, VA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2024
A bit about us
We’re a venture-backed startup on a mission to change the future of hospitality and home. With properties in some of America’s most-loved cities, our unique platform allows buildings to blur the line between hotels and apartments. This all-in-one solution includes property operations, customer acquisitions, and the tech stack to operate with more flexibility than any other company in the market.
Our tech-enabled buildings create one-of-a-kind guest experiences and tremendous value in the underlying real estate. Whether guests are with us for a night, a year, or somewhere in between, these are more than just spaces to spend the night—they’re a place to call home.
Our property team members bring our business to life at each building, focusing on execution, along with resident and guest experience. Our non-property team members support property execution and the evolution of other areas within our platform.
The impact you'll have
At Placemakr, our obsession with exceptional service doesn’t stop at our guests, residents and partners – it encompasses our team members as well. As a Front Desk Manager, your mission is to ensure a seamless and collaborative experience for our team members while setting the tone for our front of house operations. You will own the success of your Guest Experience team through leadership, hands-on support and creating a team culture of high-performance and accountability. We are seeking individuals who champion Placemakr’s Community Norms, excel in developing team members and are passionate about supporting operational success of the front of house. As an integral member of our on-site property team and a future leader at Placemakr, you will embody our Property Team Mission with each guest and team member interaction, lead by example to uphold a positive team culture and own department goals, and ultimately ensure that our guests are delighted by the experiences our front of house team members create.
This position requires open availability for scheduling including nights, weekends and holidays. The exact hours and days of the week and weekend that you will be scheduled will be rotational.
This position is located on-site at our Marymount Ballston location.
Your typical day
- Consistently provide an exceptional experience to all Placemakr guests, residents and partners by embodying what our guests should think of as a trusted friend and local insider.
- Foster a "one team" mentality by collaborating effectively with all property team members contributing to a cohesive and supportive work environment.
- Maintain a safe, secure and compliant environment for team members and guests by adhering to established Placemakr and property-specific policies and procedures, including emergency protocols, attendance policies and conduct expectations.
- Spend 75% of your time playing an active role in managing day-to-day execution, including providingsupport to your front desk team and our guests with any tasks necessary to maintain operational excellence (including check-ins and check-outs, room assignments and answering guest questions), delegating tasks, resolving open balances and effectively communicating across departments.
- Conduct regular audits of team member’s check-in and check-out processes to ensure adherence to company standards and provide feedback to your property leader on observed trends or issues.
- Lead by example as a top performer to help your team achieve and maintain Placemakr standards for excellence, including employee engagement ratings, NPS scores, brand standards, and consistently positive customer reviews.
- Effectively resolve all escalated guest issues with autonomy and in a timely manner, exercising exceptional judgement and decision-making skills.
- Consistently train new hires on guest service and operational standards and share best practices with new hires and tenured colleagues to foster a culture of continuous improvement.
- Own the day-to-day management of a team of Guest Experience Associates, by leading daily stand-ups and chat-ins, providing in-the-moment feedback, consistently coaching, counseling and developing all team members, tracking and documentation of time and attendance infractions and ensuring shift coverage for call-offs.
- Own scheduling creation and communication for a team of Guest Experience Associates, utilizing occupancy reports and following all Placemakr scheduling policies and procedures.
- As the leader of the department, own performance management processes and hiring decisions for a team of Guest Experience Associates, with support from your property leader.
- Own tracking and ordering of inventory and all other department-related spend in alignment with budgetary restrictions provided to you (personnel and non-personnel related).
- Additional duties and responsibilities, as assigned.
What it takes
- 4+ years of previous experience delivering excellent customer service in environments such as hospitality, retail, multi-family or food & beverage.
- 2+ years of experience as a team lead, supervisor or mentor which allows you to excel at supervising all guest-facing team members during your shift.
- Previous experience communicating effectively (including utilizing proper grammar, spelling and punctuation as well as a personable yet professional tone) with internal and external customers, both verbally and in writing.
- Previous experience with creating schedules, supporting performance management and assisting in interviewing in alignment with Placemakr standards.
- Demonstrated experience effectively resolving escalated guest issues with a high-level of autonomy.
- Demonstrated experience with effectively communicating in-the-moment feedback to team members in an appropriate way.
- You lead by example, have a can-do attitude and the ability to work effectively in a collaborative environment, contributing to a culture of proactive communication, unity and mutual support.
- You exceed expectations in all Guest Experience Associate III and Front Desk Supervisor skills.
- You embody our Property Team Mission of Customer, Consistency and Community (Norms).
- You lead by example and embody the core values of Placemakr. You Own It. You Make It Better. You Treat People Right.
- Front Desk Managers will be on their feet and moving around (stand, sit, or walk for an extended time) and taking a hands-on approach to work (move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 50 pounds without assistance). Doing all these things well (and other reasonable job duties as requested) is critical for our Front Desk Managers and an exceptional guest experience.
Our benefits & perks
Competitive Pay, Stock Options and Generous Monthly or Quarterly Bonus Program starting at $500 depending on your role
Flexible scheduling (including 3- and 4-day full-time work weeks, location- and position-dependent) to support work-life balance for all
Transparent position development which provides you with the ability to increase your pay by at least $2/hr in as fast as 9-months (position-dependent)
Yearly uniform stipend
Medical, Vision & Dental Insurance with options for Flexible Spending Accounts
Paid Parental Leave
Paid Life Insurance
401k + 4% employer matching program
Paid Time Off to allow time for you to recharge
ZayZoon as an option to access your paycheck before your payday
Plus, discounts to stay at select Placemakr properties all over the US
*Property Leadership roles come with additional benefits such as cell phone reimbursement and health and wellness stipend.
Our community norms
Great people are the key to our success. From corporate team members to our property teams and leaders, we’re looking for collaborative, driven individuals to join us as we continue to expand our presence across the US. Most importantly, we create positive community norms that shape our company culture and inform how we do business:
We own it.
We make it better.
We treat people right.
Placemakr will provide reasonable accommodation to complete an application upon request, consistent with applicable law. If you require an accommodation, please contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines. Placemakr values diversity of all kinds, and is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We are an equal opportunity employer and evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
If you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, we still encourage you to apply!