Data Scientist in Pilsen (Czech Republic)
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2023
What does Unacast do?
Unacast is a company that strives to understand our world and human behavior in it. We do so by analyzing petabytes of data about mobility, adjacent location information, population statistics, maps, textual sources, and many other useful datasets. What drives us is the fact that our products - such as Migration Patterns or Venue Traffic estimates - help others in making informed decisions when location understanding matters. The company, originally founded in Norway, is currently based in three locations - Oslo, New York and Pilsen. All three branches collaborate very closely together in order to build and provide our solutions to clients who mainly come from the US. True to its origin, the company is a proud advocate of Scandinavian work culture and ethical and privacy standards across all its locations.
You are a Data Scientist, but are you an inventor?
At Unacast, we are developing tools for rapidly growing data industries. We innovate to create new tools which leverage sources of data that are only now reaching maturity. As a result, we are not only developers, we are inventors! Majority of the challenges that we are working on have not been tackled before. Therefore, it is up to us to come up with novel solutions, embrace new technologies and be able to defend our approaches.
If what you just read excites you, come and join us!
We are hiring a Data Scientist
with experience in statistics and ML
We are looking for a Data Scientist to join one of our teams in the Czech Republic (Pilsen). The team is fully responsible for development of one of the core products of the company - Migration Patterns - which is a dataset that continuously analyzes the population shifts in the US. Good understanding of this phenomenon backed by solid data and sound processing helps vendors, municipalities, large corporations, but also government agencies to assess potentials and risks in areas of their interest early on, when no other data is available.
Together with this product, we are in charge of exploration, processing, modeling and, in general, “making sense” of contextual data that provide important insights about locations and portray a more vivid picture about the reasons for mobility we observe. Since there is an endless list of interesting data sources, it is crucial that our team (and you) identifies the quality, impact and value of the data before it becomes part of our products.
You will be involved in all these challenges. From improving our algorithms that drive the Migration Patterns computation, finding novel ways to validate our estimates, assessing importance and quality of potential new datasets to modeling the influences of various contextual features on human mobility and conducting analyses to demonstrate that.
This is an on-site hybrid position with 2-3 days in the week (or more if you want) working in our Pilsen office located in the city center. We use these days to plan, discuss solutions, collaborate and do activities together (we like to go running and do yoga together). Being part of Unacast means joining a friendly and efficient workplace with ample opportunities for growth within the company.
What you will be doing on a daily basis?
- Exploring, analyzing, and processing datasets that have potential to enrich our models and products.
- Applying data science methods like causal inference, ML modeling, data cleaning and processing to model human behavior from a wide range of data sources.
- Analyzing influences (correlation, causation) of various contextual factors on human mobility.
- Researching state-of-the-art approaches in processing (geospatial) data.
- Communicating findings and explaining insights to the team and across the organization.
- Building and populating our location knowledge base.
- Proposing production-ready solutions, as well as helping with building and maintaining commercial data products. Working closely with our data engineers to deploy the solutions.
- Improving existing processes, and ideating new ones.
Who we think you are?
- You are a person with a positive and proactive attitude, who can tackle problems independently, yet is a good collaborator and a team player.
- You have a good understanding and some experience in applied statistics.
- You have a good understanding of ML algorithms and other data science concepts.
- You are critical when choosing the right method and when interpreting results.
- You are familiar with Python and SQL for data processing.
- You can tell a story with the data, you like to visualize your findings and you can explain complex matters in simple terms.
- You are proficient and comfortable in English (company’s primary language).
... and it is positive if you have experience with
- Geospatial data
- Natural Language Processing / Language models (GPT, Palm, …)
- Graph neural networks
- Bayesian statistics
- Basic Software/Data Engineering (Git, Airflow)
What we expect of you?
- You like to continuously learn and work on yourself.
- We are a startup, so things can change fast and you need to be agile and proactive on this journey.
- We have customers using the product daily, so some on-call may be required.
- Be your own CEO, and have fun seriously! (Unacast guiding principles)
What you can expect of us?
- Interesting work on a unique challenge
- Amazing colleagues from many countries
- Cozy office shared with a young architecture studio
- Competitive salary
- 5 weeks of vacation
- Hybrid work mode (2+ days from the office)
- A personal development manager
- Monthly hackathons
- Latest Macbook Pro (or equivalent) with corresponding peripherals
- Free lunches when at the office
- Common activities with your colleagues
- Snacks and good coffee at the office
- Budget for work-from-home equipment
- Budget for socks
- Travels to the other company branches and conferences (based on need)
Who is Unacast?
Verified, actionable data facilitates fundamental insights in industries such as research, retail, real-estate, finance, advertising technology, city planning, transportation, and artificial intelligence. Location data is a key component, the core intelligence, that creates value for the players in these industries.
Unacast is a leader in transparent, contextualized location data. Like Google indexed the web, Unacast is indexing the physical world, designing products that merge multiple types of data on human mobility to empower companies and individuals alike to make smarter decisions.
Unacast is a fast-growing Nordic company based on Nordic values with offices in Oslo (Norway), NYC (United States), and Pilsen (Czech Republic). We have been named "The #1 Small Company To Work At In NYC" and have been featured everywhere from Techcrunch to Forbes.
Our company values are deeply embedded into everything we are and everything we do:
Be your own CEO: Everyone at Unacast can and is expected to take charge of their own situation, and make sure the company as a whole moves forward. Waiting for some feedback? Go get it! Want something done? Do it!
Trust through transparency: Dare to be vulnerable and show ourselves and the world who we really are. The trust we build through transparency will help to lift us all higher than we can rise alone.
Have fun, seriously: Create an unexpected moment that surprises and delights team members and partners. Everyone needs fun in their life, especially while doing something important.
Read more about our company and culture at https://www.unacast.com/careers